In an enlightening epside, The Not-So-Sweet Side of Sugar, Katie Couric tackles a variety of aspects about our nation’s over-the-top sugar consumption.
In this first part of the episode, you’ll discover and get shocked by:
- The humongous increase in sugar intake over the past few decades.
- The fact that sugar is toxic and too much of it makes you sick and causes type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- How Americans are consuming triple the amount of sugsr recommended by the American Heart Association.
- The legal battle between the Sugar Association and the Corn Refiners Association.
- How the sugar industry was behind the U.S. move to the World Health Organization (WHO) to bury” a document” that recommended limiting sugar consumption to no more than 10 percent of calories.
- How sugar has been added to low-fat foods.
- How diet soda might lead to weight gain.
- How orange juice — often hailed as healthy — is loaded with sugar.
- How food labels are confusing. Did you know that 1 tsp. of sugar is 4.2 grams?
Now take a few minutes to watch the first part of Katie’s episode, The Not-So-Sweet Side of Sugar, featuring anti-sugar advocate Dr. Robert Lustig, whose YouTube video, Sugar: The Bitter Truth, has had more than 4 million hits.
FYI, you only need to take nearly 10 minutes to get educated and shocked.
Connie Bennett is a former sugar-addicted journalist, who is on a mission to spread the sour news about sweets. Ordered in 1998 to quit her favorite sugary treats, Connie is author of the bestselling books, Sugar Shock, praised by Dr. Mehmet Oz, and Beyond Sugar Shock, endorsed by Dr. Wayne Dyer, Dr. Christiane Northrup and many others.